Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Favorite Picture Books

Wow. I mean, how long can you neglect your blog only to find it waiting for you, tail wagging, ears bouncing, when you return? Apparently quite awhile, thank goodness.

But today is a new day, a new, perfect day to discuss picture books. (What day isn't?) So, in no order, here are my fav-o-rites.

The Old Woman Who Named Things, Cynthia Rylant
All the Places to Love, Patricia Maclachlan
The New Girl and Me, Jacqui Robbins
The Day The Babies Crawled Away, Peggy Rathman
Orville, A Dog Story, Haven Kimmel
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, William Steig
The Going to Bed Book, Sandra Boynton
I Ain't Gonna Paint No More, Karen Beaumont
Zilla Sasparilla and the Mud Baby, Judith Gorog
The Red Bird, Astrid Lindgren
Louella Mae, She's Run Away, Karen Beaumont Alarcon
When I Met the Wolf Girls, Deborah Noyes
The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams

I know I'll think of more the second I publish this post.
What are your all-time favs?

6 comments:

  1. Where the Wild Things Are is the first one that comes to mind. Let the wild rumpus begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J.L.,
    What a great line. I love the book's directness.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great list. I especially love #3, of course. But we sing "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More No More!" at my house a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqui,
    Just makes you wanna pick up a brush, huh? :)And Catrow's illustrations are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love In the Night Kitchen so much, I painted the city scene as a mural on my son's nursery walls.
    I also adore
    Beware of the Storybook Wolves by Lauren Child
    all of the Henry Books by D.B. Johnson,
    and almost anything illustrated by Lane Smith or Gris Grimly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lily Cate,
    I love Lauren Child. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete